The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is an evolution of the existing Data Protection Act coming into force on 25 May 2018. It aims to increase the protection for individuals and their data by providing citizens with greater control on where their data is saved and used.
Royal Mail recently released a guide on The GDPR Opportunity with Mail.
Here are our top 7 ways direct mail could help your business thrive in a GDPR world:
- You will not need consent for postal marketing – However you will need consent for some calls and for texts and emails under PECR.
- Mail is recommended by the DMA to get consent– Some organisations will decide to repermission some customer segments and mail is well suited for this.
- It is easy to stay in touch – Often people only have one postal address unlike email where people have multiple accounts.
- Mail offers higher response rates than email – Mail is welcomed by recipients as it reassures people that companies recognise and value them.
- Mail primes other media – Royal Mail’s Private Life of Mail study proved emails and other electronic communications are better recognised and received if the recipient had been mailed in the weeks before.
- Don’t forget the power of unaddressed mail – Door drops can be delivered with addressed mail that enables you to re-engage without using personal data.
- No fines as yet for using mail for marketing – According to ICO website 17 penalties were issued in 2017 for channels used such as text, calls and email none for using mail.
Positive are ISO 27001 and DMA accredited print, direct mail and multichannel marketing specialists. We offer a complete start to finish direct mail service, from data cleansing and management to printing and postage.
For further information please contact Danny Sullivan, Managing Director on 020 8544 5500 or email email@example.com
To download Royal Mail’s “The GDPR Opportunity with Mail” visit http://www.mailmen.co.uk/GDPR/mail-opportunities